"Write this down for the next generation so people not yet born will praise God." Psalm 102:18

"Write my answer on a billboard, large and clear, so that anyone can read it at a glance and rush to tell the others." Habakkuk 2:2

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Getting Into My Character's Skin

I've been reading this past week on how to revise/edit your novel. One book suggested taking a break from it for three weeks, so that's what I'm trying to do. You aren't supposed to even think about it, which I'm finding hard to do. I find myself taking notes of the things that I need to focus on, change, or improve once I get back to it again.

In between my reading of how to edit, I also have picked up a couple fiction books to read - partly for pleasure, and also for research. I find it hard to read a book without trying to analyze how the author successfully draws the reader's attention. My most recent area of concentration is how the writer gets inside their character's skin, making each one different from each other. I ask myself whether or not I've been successful pulling this off as well.

At least I find myself with a lot of food for thought before I start rewriting, editing, tweaking, etc. I think it will take a while to work through the process, but I think I'm up for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment