"Write this down for the next generation so people not yet born will praise God." Psalm 102:18

"Write my answer on a billboard, large and clear, so that anyone can read it at a glance and rush to tell the others." Habakkuk 2:2

Friday, May 25, 2012

Roller Coaster Week

It's been a week of high and low emotions. I love how God encourages us when we need it the most. Since I finished homeschooling a couple weeks ago, I've been seeking the Lord on how to order my days as I enter a new chapter in my life. In just a little over a week my youngest will be gone for about two months, only returning home for a brief visit on the weekends. I will find myself with more time on my hands, and I desire to use it for His glory.

Yesterday I was accepted into an advanced fiction writer's course with Christian Writers Guild. My new class will start in November and includes a five day intensive workshop in Colorado working with gifted authors such as DiAnn Mills, Jerry B. Jenkins, etc. It provides a tremendous learning opportunity and I'm quite excited about it. My 'homework' before I begin, is to read these three books - Dialogue by Gloria Kempton, The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass, and The Power of Body Language by Tonya Reiman. The first two books I personally own, and the last one I'll be borrowing from our public library. In fact, it's already in transit from a branch library.

I also received feedback yesterday from three judges - representatives from Love Inspired Historical and Barbour Publishers. Both are ones I hope to target in the future with my writing. Even though I didn't win the contest, I had extremely positive feedback from the judges sharing minor things to tweak. It was a real encouragement.

This week I've written over 500 words with my new novel, and have worked extensively on characterization. I can't wait to see what this new set of characters will find themselves getting involved in, and what dilemmas they will face. I find novel writing to be so much fun, and I'm eager for how God will use this ministry in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment