"Write this down for the next generation so people not yet born will praise God." Psalm 102:18

"Write my answer on a billboard, large and clear, so that anyone can read it at a glance and rush to tell the others." Habakkuk 2:2

Monday, March 22, 2010

Pedestal

I have had personal emails from two authors today. One writer has written over sixty books and the other author over one hundred books. Wow! It seems hard to imagine!

So how did they get in contact with little ol' me? I happened to be reading on their blogs, and contacted them via email to ask a question of both of them. I honestly did not expect to hear back from them personally. I thought I would hear from an assistant, if anything. So I was quite surprised to see a response in my email inbox earlier this morning.

Now, I could get caught up with the excitement that these two authors contacted me personally. The more I thought about it, I realized that they are just ordinary men who have chosen to faithfully follow the calling that God has placed on their lives. Granted they have a lot of acclaim in the writing business, but they still are no different than me.

I realize that in this world, it can become so easy to place people we admire on a pedestal. We think of them as better than we are. Perhaps it is just that woman at church that seems to have it all together. We think, "If only I could be like ....." We enjoy it when someone with notoriety responds to us, because it boosts our self-esteem.

What a wrong way of thinking. The only person in our lives that we should place on a pedestal and look up to is Jesus Christ. He is the only one worthy of following and emulating. When I grow up, I want to be just like Jesus! :) Even at 44 years of age, I know I have growing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment