"Write this down for the next generation so people not yet born will praise God." Psalm 102:18

"Write my answer on a billboard, large and clear, so that anyone can read it at a glance and rush to tell the others." Habakkuk 2:2

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Mind of Their Own

My characters in the story I am writing have begun to have a mind of their own. Before sitting down to write I had briefly planned out where I planned to go with each chapter. I had a general outline. Then I sat down to actually write.

I have been surprised with every chapter I have written so far. My characters don't do what I had planned for them to do. They do and say things that surprise even me. Even though I have a general idea of what I think is going to happen, it doesn't always go that way.

I chose a friend that is an avid reader to read each chapter as I finish it. She helps to make sure that things are clear in how I write things, and that I haven't missed anything. I commented to her that my characters are starting to have a mind of their own. She responded that she likes where the characters are taking themselves! :) What a joy to write when even the author gets surprised by her characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment