"Write this down for the next generation so people not yet born will praise God." Psalm 102:18

"Write my answer on a billboard, large and clear, so that anyone can read it at a glance and rush to tell the others." Habakkuk 2:2

Monday, February 22, 2010

The Power and Influence of Words

Words hold power. They can make or destroy someone's day. They have the ability to inspire and encourage. Proverbs 25:11 says, "A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." That is why it is so important that we guard what we say or write. Our words have influence.

Think of the creation of the world. God spoke it into existence. When Jesus and his disciples were in the middle of the lake during a violent storm, all it took to calm the seas was Jesus saying, "Quiet! Be still!" (Mark 4:39)

As I am praying and contemplating what it is that God is calling me to be writing, I can't help but praise Him for the affirmation He has given me in the process. Here are some words that I have heard recently.
  • "God has certainly blessed you with the gift of writing. I am praying for you!! Keep the "pearls" coming."
  • "You never cease to amaze me with your writing. God has truly blessed you."
  • "You have encouraged me so much by your writing."
  • "I just want to encourage you as you pursue your dream of writing! Go for it...go with God!"
I don't include this to boost my own ego. But just to show how much words can influence and encourage. God used these words spoken (written) by a couple friends to confirm the call that He has placed on my heart. I desire to speak encouragement into someone else's life, through the gift of the written word.

No comments:

Post a Comment