"Write this down for the next generation so people not yet born will praise God." Psalm 102:18

"Write my answer on a billboard, large and clear, so that anyone can read it at a glance and rush to tell the others." Habakkuk 2:2

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Killing Habits

I'm taking a brief break from my writing this morning, to blog about a habit I desperately am trying to break. I have no idea why, but it seems I enjoy including the word 'that' in my writing. I'm sure if I looked back in previous blog entries I would likely find it lurking there.

It's a mystery really, since this word is not descriptive. Dictionary.com describes it as: "used to indicate a person, thing, idea, state, event, time, remark, etc., as pointed out or present, mentioned before, supposed to be understood, or by way of emphasis."

All right, I realize it isn't a deadly habit, and there are plenty of things much worse than this! But for me, I'm on a quest to eradicate 'that' from my writing. What areas do you need to improve?

No comments:

Post a Comment