"Write this down for the next generation so people not yet born will praise God." Psalm 102:18

"Write my answer on a billboard, large and clear, so that anyone can read it at a glance and rush to tell the others." Habakkuk 2:2

Monday, April 12, 2010

Decisions

I have been waffling back and forth for a few weeks on a decision. Today I finally made a stand. What was the quandary? I couldn't decided whether or not I wanted to use the actual name and town for where my lighthouse book I'm writing is based, or to come up with a name on my own. Due to the negative connotation I have opted to come up with my own creation.

The lighthouse that I have been researching was called Negro Island Light at the time period I will be writing. In the 1900's it's name was changed to Curtis Island Light. This is near Camden, Maine. There are advantages and disadvantages to using the actual name. Although I am trying to do as much research as possible, there still are many items that I will be unable to discover. I realize that there won't be anyone reading my book that was alive in the late 1800's and could point out the inconsistencies.

I remember reading a book that had the character travel through my town. Some things were accurate in their descriptions, and others were completely wrong. That bothered me...I wanted it to be correct. Perhaps it is just me that cares about these kinds of details. At any rate, I have decided to set my story in a fictitious town, so I have the freedom to create my own details when I can't find specifics in my research.

I am excited for finally reaching a decision for my book setting. My contact in New York recently emailed more information. I am looking forward to being able to sit down and finalize all of the details. Each step is closer to actually writing the book. I can hardly wait. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment