"Write this down for the next generation so people not yet born will praise God." Psalm 102:18

"Write my answer on a billboard, large and clear, so that anyone can read it at a glance and rush to tell the others." Habakkuk 2:2

Thursday, April 22, 2010

I'm Looking Forward to Tomorrow

It's been a busy week. So much so, that I have been unable to do any research for my writing project. It has been on the back burner. Even though I haven't been consciously thinking about it, I know my brain has been mulling over possible scenarios.

On Sunday evening I had the opportunity to share the plot and subplot with my husband over dinner. It was good to bounce some ideas around, and think of different possible twists to the storyline. One thing I learned early in life was not to talk a lot about your actual plot, but instead to get it on paper (or computer!).

Even though there are a few people that know I'm writing a book, I have shared very little because of this. The ideas remain fresh when they are still in your head. I have shared a little bit about the setting, but that's about it. I have been in contact with a Christian writer in Maine and she mentioned the importance of not sharing your story with others until the rough draft is completed and you have had time to read over it in its entirety and made corrections. I believe this is something that I will try as well. If memory is correct, when I was writing my other two novels, I made sure to write my ideas on paper before sharing them.

All this to say, that tomorrow I finally will have a free day to devote to my writing and I'm looking forward to it. Perhaps tomorrow will be the day when those flat characters transition into being ones with substance.

No comments:

Post a Comment